What is Nippers?
Nippers is an activity-based program run to educate young children about surf safety and awareness when visiting a beach. The nipper program also offers participants the opportunity to meet a new set of friends whilst they are being challenged in activities controlled within a learning environment.
The Nipper program is held during the summer period on Sunday mornings.
Umina Nippers Registration – Season 2012/13
Registration for all age groups are now closed.
The season will commence October 7th. The season takes a small break over the Christmas/New Year period and finishes in mid-March 2013.
Objectives of the Umina Junior Activities Committee:
At Umina Nippers our objective is to provide a safe and fun environment for children aged 5 to 13 years to enjoy the surf safely. In a fun and enjoyable environment, with qualified instructors nippers are encouraged to learn about life saving and surf safety. For those nippers interested, the program also introduces the competitive side of Surf Lifesaving. Allowing nippers to use their natural skills in competition at a series of carnivals held throughout the season and to promote fellowship, fair play and enjoyment while learning very valuable lifelong water and surf skills.
Our objectives are:
- To provide a safe and fun environment for the children to learn about the beach, its unique qualities and surf activities;
- To teach the children aged 5 to 13 years to enjoy the surf safely;
- Provide the opportunity for children to improve their surf and beach skills;
- To train the children for a series of awards under the auspices of the SLSA of Australia’s Board of Junior Development, which covers:
1. SURF AWARENESS
2. SURF SKILLS
3. FIRST AID
- To encourage those interested, to use their natural skills in competition at a series of carnivals held throughout the season;
- To prepare the children for entry into the senior club at Umina;
- To promote fellowship, fair play, and enjoyment while learning very valuable lifelong water and surf skills;
- But above all… to have fun!
The week to week activities of each age group are lead by one or more age managers who are endorsed by the Junior Activities Committee (JAC). The primary role of age managers is to educate our junior members about the surf and surf live saving in a friendly, fun and safe environment.
In accordance with regulations from the Central Coast Branch, a child must have turned 5 prior to 30 September of the year that they are eligible to join Nippers. Children are registered in the age group according to the age of the child on 30 September. For example, if your child is 11 on 30 September, the child will be in the Under 12′s.
|AGE TURNED BY
30 SEPT 2012
If you have any questions regarding the “Nippers” program, please contact Robert McLeod.